Would you like to receive regular news and special offers from us directly in your inbox? Then you should subscribe to our newsletter.
Vehicle shipment to Iceland
Since more than 30 years Smyril Line offers safe and comfortable ferry crossings between Danmark and Faroe Islands and further on to Iceland onboard MV Norröna.
Now this successful and approved service will be improved by the addition of a new offer.
Vehicle shipment from Rotterdam to Thorlakshöfn in Iceland
In April 2017 Smyril Line’s fleet will be extended by a new cargo unit. The new RoRo vessel MV MYKINES will operate weekly between the Dutch port of Rotterdam and the Icelandic port Thorlakshöfn, close to Reykjavik. Thereby Smyril Line offers an additional possibility to ship vehicles to Iceland. The port of Thorlakshöfn is just about 30 kilometers away from Reykjavik.
This service will be offered throughout the whole year.
While your vehicle is on the way to Iceland, arrival within only four days, you can travel to Iceland by plane on any date of your convenience and pick up your vehicle in Thorlakshöfn. See publich transport in Iceland here straeto.is/en.
Schedule MV MYKINES
Departure from Rotterdam Monday at 24:00 CET
Arrival in Thorlakshöfn Friday at 06:00 CET
Departure from Thorlakshöfn Friday at 23:00 CET
Arrival in Rotterdam Monday at 18:00 CET
Delivery in Rotterdam: Friday before 15:00 CET
Pick up in Thorlakshöfn: Friday from 12:00 CET until 16:30
Delivery in Thorlakshöfn: Latest Friday at 12:00 CET
Pick up in Rotterdam: Only on Wednesdays from 07:00 CET (11:30-12:30 closed during lunch)
In case your prefer to deliver your vehicle earlier or pick it up later, safe parking is available in Rotterdam as well as in Thorlakshöfn.
Custom formalities will be handle for you by Smyril Line Cargo.
If you decide on a shipment with Smyril Line, your vehicle will not be shipped inside a container, instead it will simply be driven onboard MV MYKINES, using it’s RoRo ramp. Therefore a complicated price calculation based on length, width and total volume with different surcharges is not applicable.
Documents needed (insurance etc.)
For export and import of tourist cars to and from Iceland, the insurance-card and registration document is needed. The insurance needs to cover transport and driving in Iceland.
Book your shipment directly at Smyril Line. Bookings have to be made no later than two weeks in advance. For booking requests please send an email to email@example.com. Booking reference has to be made and shown when vehicles are delivered either in Rotterdam or Thorlakshofn.
For booking the following information is required:
- Requested dates of shipment
- Type of vehicle and registration number
- Length, width, height and weight of vehicle
- Name and address (street, post code, town and country), telephone number and email of the vehicle owner
- Copy of the vehicle registration papers
- Name of vehicle collector and copy of ID card or passport
- Requested insurance, if any
- Estimated time and date of delivery / collection
Terms and conditions
Terms of payment:
- For reservations made more than 30 days prior to departure, the first rate of 25% of the price, however a minimum of € 400, is payable to Smyril Line at the time of the booking. The remainder is payable to Smyril Line no later than 30 days prior to departure.
- For reservations made less than 30 days prior to departure, the full amount is payable to Smyril Line at the time of the reservation.
The date of payment receipt is decisive. In the event of failure to comply with these regulations, Smyril Line reserves the right to cancel reservations and to retain fees in accordance with the terms of cancellation.
Terms of cancellation:
- Cancellations made up to 31 days prior to departure the first rate minus an administration fee of 10% of the price of the journey will be refunded.
- Cancellations made between 30 and 15 days prior to departure result in forfeiture of 50% of the price of the journey.
- Cancellations made between 14 and 7 days prior to departure result in forfeiture of 75% of the price of the journey.
- Cancellations made less than 7 days prior to departure result in forfeiture of 100% of the price of the journey.
Terms for sea transport is controlled by various rules:
Terms of transport (FAS applies) 'Free Alongside Ship':
For insurance: Transport insurance is not included in the rates. We advise you to buy transport insurance at your insurance company.