Travelers going to Iceland in the winter period (01.01-31.03.17 & 28.10-31.12.17) are asked to pay attention to the chapter "Winter Sailing to Iceland".
General Terms 2017
Below you can see the general terms for travel with M/S Norrøna in 2017
- Tab one: "Part one - Smyril Line Ltd. General Terms"
- Tab two: "Part two - Applicable law and governing liability provisions."
The contractual obligations between the customer and SML start upon registration/when participant receipt is issued. Unless otherwise stated these General Terms and Conditions are considered part of the agreement. What has been stated in SML’s program, brochures and sailing lists and/or in any other marketing material concerning the package tour in question is considered part of the package tour agreement, unless any other agreement has been made. In order to be effective, any special agreements based on the customer’s particular requirements must appear in the agreement.
Passengers are responsible for ensuring that the invoice/description of the journey corresponds to the reservations made. The traveler is responsible for ensuring that SML has the correct name as stated in the traveler’s passport at the time a reservation is made. Travellers are to provide SML with a telephone number or email address, which is reachable during the whole journey. When ordering tickets, information must be provided concerning any passengers with reduced physical or mental abilities who would necessitate assistance in following safety instructions. Please see regulations regarding “check-in” when travelling with special needs.
All travelers must be in possession of a valid travel document, ready to present if requested. Travelers themselves are liable for any expenses, which may arise in case travelers are refused entry due to missing travel documents. All travelers are strongly advised to bring along with them valid passport, as a passport is the only valid identify caution for international travel. Leaving/entering the Schengen-area a valid passport is compulsory. If a traveler does not have an EU passport this should be mentioned when the booking is made.
All travelers under 16 years are required to travel with a parent or legal guardian. Travelers aged between 16 - 18 years will require written permission from their parent or legal guardian before they can travel.
All prices include fees and taxes and are stated in €. If booking a one way ticket only, a fee of € 10 per person will be added to the ticket. Infants (0-2 years) are free of charge.
For all car and motorcycle reservations, the maximum vehicle height is 1.90 meters including roof baggage and aerial, and the maximum length is 5.0 meters unless otherwise stated. There is a supplementary fee for all vehicles exceeding these dimensions, as well as for caravans, trailers, etc.
Travel package prices, which include accommodation ashore, and which are stated per person, are valid for two adults travelling together unless otherwise stated.
Accommodation at hotels and guesthouses is in shared double rooms. For persons travelling alone, there is a supplementary fee for a single room. All prices for hostel accommodation are valid for rooms with several beds. Please note that there are different regulations for sleeping bags at the various destinations. You can bring bed linen with you or rent it.
Accommodation in holiday houses in Iceland does include bed linen, towels, heating and electricity. People have to clean the houses themselves.
Accommodation in holiday houses in the Faroe Islands does include heating and electricity but not bed linen and end cleaning. Bed linen can be ordered in advance. End cleaning is obligatory and will be added to the price.
On the arrival day, normal hotel check-in time is from 14.00-16.00 onwards. Hotel check-out time is normally no later than 11.00 on the day of departure.
Accommodation at destinations is as stated in the program/voucher or travel certificate. SML reserves the right to refer passengers to alternative accommodation of a corresponding or better standard in the same vicinity. SML also reserves the right to refer passengers to ferries/ships of a corresponding or better standard. Travel information is provided primarily in Danish or English.
Excursions, meals, beverages, accommodation ashore, as well as accompanying services, transfers or transportation ashore are not included in prices unless otherwise stated.
Prices for children (age 3-11) for transportation only and (age 3-11) for packages including accommodation are based on accommodation with their own berth or extra bed in their parents’ cabin/room. Children (age 0-2) travel free of charge, provided they do not have their own berth/bed. Separate berths/beds are available for the same price as for children (age 3-11) for transportation only and (age 3-11) for packages incl. accommodation. There is a maximum of one extra bed per double/twin room. Two extra beds are only possible at a few hotels and only by request. An extra bed can be a sofa or mattress, etc.
TERMS OF PAYMENT
- For reservations made more than 30 days prior to departure, the first rate of 25% of the price, however a minimum of € 400, is payable to SML at the time of the booking. The remainder is payable to Smyril Line no later than 30 days prior to departure.
- For reservations made less than 30 days prior to departure, the full amount is payable to SML at the time of the reservation.
- Regarding travels with a value up to € 400, the full amount is payable to SML at the time of the reservation.
- These terms of payment also apply to online reservations.
The date of payment receipt is decisive. In the event of failure to comply with these regulations, Smyril Line reserves the right to cancel reservations and to retain fees in accordance with the terms of cancellation. Special payment terms are applicable for groups.
CREDIT CARD FEE
Credit card payments are charged at fee by PBS/DIBS. See list of charges here.
BANK TRANSFER (if direct booking and not through sales agent)
By bank transfer the booking number (BN) has to be mentioned.
Bank Nordik, Oknarvegur 5, FO-100 Tórshavn
SWIFT/BIC code: FIFBFOTX
IBAN code: FO11 6460 0004 9322 01
Betri Banki P/F, Yviri við Strond 2, FO-100 Tórshavn
SWIFT/BIC code: EIKBFOTF
IBAN code: FO9491810001202946
All changes are subject to space onboard.
Changes of departure date, for both out- and inbound, number of travelers and names:
- Changes no later than 30 days prior to departure will entail an administration fee of € 15 per person/car in addition to any resulting changes in the price. The administration fee is payable to SML at the time of the change.
- Changes less than 30 days prior to departure but more than 7 days prior to departure will entail an administration fee of € 27 per person/car in addition to any resulting changes in the price. Changes resulting in deterioration in a reservation (fewer travelers, cancellation of car, accommodation etc.) are considered cancellations. Please see cancellation terms.
- Changes 7 days or less than 7 days prior to departure, but more than 4 days prior to departure will entail an administration fee of € 55 per person/car + 10% of the price of the journey. The administration fee is payable to SML at the time of the change.
- Changes on the 4th day or less than 4 days prior to departure will entail an administration fee of € 80 per person/car + 10% of the price of the journey. The administration fee is payable to SML at the time of the change.
PACKAGE TOURS TO THE FAROE ISLANDS AND ICELAND
- Changes in travel packages will entail an additional fee of € 25 per night per room in addition to any resulting changes in the price.
COMBINED PACKAGE TOURS TO ICELAND AND GREENLAND
For combined package tours to Iceland and Greenland the above terms extended with the following fees apply for changes of flight ticket, hotel, and excursions in Greenland
- Changes made up to 8 weeks prior to departure will entail a change fee equal to 10% of the flight ticket and 50% of the hotel cost. Changes of excursions is free of charge.
- Changes made 8-6 weeks prior to departure will entail a change fee equal to 20% of the flight ticket and 50% of the hotel cost. Changes of excursions is free of charge.
- Changes made 6-4 weeks prior to departure will entail a change fee equal to 30% of the flight ticket, 50% of the hotel cost and 50% of the excursion costs.
- Changes made 4-2 weeks prior to departure will entail a change fee equal to 40% of the flight ticket, 50% of the hotel cost and 50% of the excursion costs.
- Changes made 14-8 days prior to departure will entail a change fee of 50% of the flight ticket, 50% of the hotel cost and 50% of the excursion costs.
- Changes made 7-0 days prior to departure will entail a change fee of 100% of the flight ticket, 100% of the hotel cost and 100% of the excursion costs.
SML reserves the right to increase prices post-reservation due to changes in transportation-costs, including fuel costs, taxes, fees, costs of certain services, exchange rates etc.
In accordance with the legislation governing travel packages, customers bear no responsibility for cancellation of reservations due to natural catastrophes or similar conditions if, for example, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or the Ministry of Health advises against travelling to the destination. These terms do not apply in the event that the catastrophe or similar condition was common knowledge when the reservations were made. Unused travel packages and voyages or parts thereof are not refunded.
Transportation only (out-and inbound):
- Cancellations made up to 31 days prior to departure the first rate minus an administration fee of 10% of the price of the journey, however no less than € 40 per person, will be refunded.
- Cancellations made between 30 and 15 days prior to departure result in forfeiture of 50% of the price of the journey, however no less than € 40 per person.
- Cancellations made between 14 and 7 days prior to departure result in forfeiture of 75% of the price of the journey.
- Cancellations made less than 7 days prior to departure result in forfeiture of 100% of the price of the journey.
- Cancellations made up to 31 days prior to departure the first rate minus an administration fee of 10% of the package price, however no less than € 90 per person, and € 20 per night per room will be refunded.
- Cancellations made between 30 and 15 days prior to departure result in forfeiture of 50% of the package price plus an administrative fee of € 50 per person.
- Cancellations made between 14 and 8 days prior to departure result in forfeiture of 75% of the package price plus an administrative fee of € 50 per person.
- Cancellations made less than 8 days prior to departure result in forfeiture of 100% of the package price.
COMBINED PACKAGE TOURS TO ICELAND AND GREENLAND
For combined package tours to Iceland and Greenland the above terms extended with the following fees apply for cancellation of flight ticket, hotel and excursions in Greenland.
- Cancellations made up to 8 weeks prior to departure will entail a cancellation fee equal to 40% of the flight ticket. Cancellation of the hotel and excursions in Greenland is free of charge.
- Cancellations made 8-6 weeks prior to departure will entail a cancellation fee equal to 40% of the flight ticket. Cancellation of the hotel and excursions in Greenland is free of charge.
- Cancellations made 6-4 weeks prior to departure will entail a cancellation fee equal to 60% of the flight ticket, 50% of the hotel and excursions in Greenland.
- Cancellations made 4-2 weeks prior to departure will entail a cancellation fee equal to 80% of the flight ticket, 50% of the hotel and excursions in Greenland.
- Cancellations made 14-8 days prior to departure will entail a cancellation fee equal to 100% of the flight ticket, 50% of the hotel and excursions in Greenland.
- Cancellations made 7-0 days prior to departure will entail a cancellation fee equal to 100% of the flight ticket, 100% of the hotel and excursions in Greenland.
Cancellation fees may rise in case hotels demand higher fees for cancellations.
Special terms of cancellation are applicable for groups.
It is possible to take out cancellation agreement with Smyril Line, which is 5% of the cost of the travel. If the travel cost is to be refunded to the traveler the insurance amount will be deducted from the total cost. The cancellation agreement will cover if the client has to cancel the trip due to death or severe acute illness which requires hospitalization or prescribed sickbed, or due to something equivalent (eg. Burglary), of the client himself, spouse, partner, parents or in-laws, children or grandchildren, siblings, grandparents, sister or brother in law or travel companion, provided that a medical certificate or in case of burglary a copy of the review to the police in the form of a written receipt with the reference number is sent to SML within 7 days after the cancellation. It is a condition of coverage that the insured as soon as possible is examined by a doctor - either by own GP or doctor on call. The client shall make the cancellation immediately or as soon as possible after the circumstances have arisen, and the client bears the expenses related to the issuance of certificates.
Passengers are entitled to updates on arrivals and departures. Information about departure/arrival is available on phone +298345800 or on www.smyrilline.com. If the package tour is cancelled by SML before departure or cannot be accomplished as agreed, the customer must be notified as soon as possible. However, this does not apply to minor changes/trivialities. At the same time as changes/cancellations are announced, SML must inform the customer about the possibility to complain. The customer may terminate the agreement and have any amount refunded that has been paid according to the agreement, or take part in another package tour of his/her own choice, if SML can offer this without disproportionate costs or losses. Within adequate time after receipt of the notify caution of change, the customer must notify SML. If the customer chooses to participate in a package tour of a higher value than the one originally booked, the customer must pay the price difference. If the package tour has a lower value than the one originally booked, SML must refund the price difference. Responsibility and exemption from responsibility for SML in case of changes etc.: If the customer suffers a loss due to SML’s changes or as a consequence of cancellation of the package tour, the customer has a claim for a refund in correspondence with general refund regulations, unless the cancellation/deficiency is caused by the fact that the number of travelers mentioned in the agreement has not been registered – that a certain percentage of travelers has been not achieved and that SML has notified the customer of this no later than 14 days before departure (for shorter excursions/bus journeys a shorter time of notice may apply) or that the loss is caused by a third party or external circumstances of no relevance to the package tour, and that SML or anyone, for whom SML is responsible, could not have foreseen these circumstances by applying adequate care when entering the agreement or could have avoided or averted them i.e. force majeure or circumstances similar to force majeure. SML does not enter into the statutory, objectively based responsibility that may lie with carriers, hotels and other collaborators. SML does not assume any responsibility for irrelevant third party damages on persons or for lost, stolen or destroyed luggage/vehicles etc. For the boat journey SML’s travelling regulations apply. Reference is made to the timetable. Complaints and limitation of liability: If the customer finds any deficiencies during the journey or in relation to the destination, he/she must notify SML or the service provider in question to make it possible for them to remedy the deficiency. A deficiency occurs, if the traveler does not receive the services and performances that through catalogues, advertisements or special agreements with SML have been stated on the participant receipt, or the performances are of a poorer quality than what was agreed or guaranteed. If SML shall remedy the deficiency, the customer cannot claim a proportional reduction or terminate the agreement. If remedying may cause SML disproportionate costs or considerable disadvantages, the customer may be referred to claim a proportional price reduction or to cancel. Refund claims must be proposed to SML or the intermediary within reasonable time after the journey has ended. At the same time SML limit their responsibility for deficiencies and damages to the same extent as the following international conventions that may apply for the service providers, who are to blame for the deficient part of the package tour: For air carriage: The Warsaw Convention; For sea carriage: The Athens Convention; For train carriage: The convention for international rail road transports. Travelers’ accident insurance: As very low refunds are often paid according to the international conventions, and as the traveler must pay any costs concerning medical care and ambulance transportation, we recommend that travelers take out a travelers’ accident insurance. Ask our travel consultants for details.
SML reserves the right to change or cancel the excursions both in Iceland and on The Faroe Islands in the event of challenging weather conditions. If a excursion is cancelled, SML will refund the prepaid amount on board. Refund will be in DKK. SML strongly recommends to book the excursions in advance, as SML cannot guarantee that there is space on the busses when booking on board.
For land transport in connection with package tours via independent carriers other terms and conditions may apply for these companies’ part of the package tour. These regulations are supplied when the package tour is booked. Especially the rules concerning check-in time, pets and luggage may vary from one company to another.
All scheduled times are local times and subject to weather conditions. SML reserves the right to change the timetable. Passengers are ordered to stay updated on departure times and possible changes on our website www.smyrilline.com or call +298 345800.
We would like to make passengers aware that should weather conditions prevent safe sailing, trips from the Faroes to Seyðisfjørður in Iceland may be delayed or cancelled. If this were to happen, passengers could be delayed on their journey from the Faroes to Iceland or Iceland to the Faroes.
Under such circumstances, Smyril Line is not obliged to pay any compensation, pay for any alternative means of transport or offer any free accommodation whatsoever. Passengers are liable for these expenses. Smyril Line can, however, offer passengers who are stranded in the Faroes free accommodation on board Norröna, although reasonable payment for any meals will be required.
Only one cancellation on these grounds occurred in 2013, there were no such cancellations in 2014 and there have been none to date in 2015.
Smyril Line always plans for safe crossings and, should conditions prove adverse, we may have to change the sailing schedule accordingly. Passengers will always be kept up-to-date regarding any changes to the schedule before departure, as well as during sailing.
As an example, if a week passes without Norröna reaching Seyðisfjørður in Iceland, and a passenger on board Norröna wishes to get to Iceland sooner, Smyril Line will not pay for a flight; passengers are solely responsible for any such alternative travel arrangements. However, if the passenger is travelling with a car and wishes to have it freighted to Iceland, Smyril Line will ensure, together with the passenger, that the vehicle is shipped to Seyðisfjørður /Iceland for free on the next trip.
If passengers are stranded in Iceland, Smyril Line is not liable for any expenses they may incur owing to this, including, but not limited to, hotel expenses. However, Smyril Line would be very happy to help customers find accommodation, should this be required.
Check-in times can be found here.
Passengers with special needs are required to check in 2 hours prior to departure. Please inform check-in personnel when travelling with special needs so the appropriate consideration can be shown. Please note that departure time is the time/date which is stated on the ticket. SML reserves the right to cancel journeys for persons who have not presented themselves for check-in within the check in times. SML reserves the right to sail as soon as check-in has closed. Access to the car deck during the voyage cannot be ensured.
The customer has to be aware of the fact that waiting time should be expected in regards to check-in, driving on board, driving ashore, and the customer should not expect to be ashore at the arrival time in the port.
Passengers with special needs are kindly asked to meet at check-in no later than 2,5 hours prior to departure. Please inform at check-in about your particular needs in order to grant you the best service possible; (eg. let you park the car near the on-board elevator, help you to and from the disability cabin, etc.). While we do our best, you may expect waiting time in connection with departure and arrival.
Customer’s obligations – failure to appear – unused services: If the customer has not cancelled the package tour, and/or if the traveler does not appear at the stated time and place for departure or home journey, or if the customer is not able to commence or finish the journey due to missing travelling documents, e.g. valid passport, necessary visa or vaccination documents etc., SML is entitled to charge the total price of the package tour. This also applies, if the customer is expelled due to repeated gross negligence of the regulations of the carrier, hotel, etc. If a customer fails to appear at the stated transports or in any other way fails to use the performances included in the package tour, he cannot claim compensation for any unused performances/services. The customer must keep himself informed of the time of the home journey in case he has booked a round trip on his own or for some other reason has left his travelling group. Further he must obey any regulations for reconfirming airline distances that are included in individual journeys and package tours without the assistance of a conductor. Failing to reconfirm means that the airlines are entitled to make the booked seats available to other parties. Applicable law and venue: All claims deriving from a package tour, for which the above conditions have been approved, are adjusted according to Danish law. Venue for disputes: The Copenhagen Maritime and Commercial Court.
The cabins are at your disposal until 2 hours before arrival. The time when you are to leave the cabin can vary and is announced on board.
For safety reasons luggage and vehicles may be examined before entry is allowed on board. In case this is denied, the traveler may be refused boarding with no right to claim compensation for the fare. Luggage which might cause considerable inconvenience to or endanger the safety of the vessel, human beings or goods must not be brought aboard. The carrier shall with regard to the circumstances, without any obligation to indemnify the passenger, be entitled to bring the luggage ashore, to render it harmless or to destroy it, if brought aboard without the carrier´s knowledge and written consent. The passenger must not bring on board any luggage or article, which may be considered a safety hazard under international ship and port security code. If the violation of the above provisions causes the vessel to be detained, restricted in operation or involves the imposing of a fine upon the carrier, the vessel or its owners, the passenger is to indemnify the carrier for any and all costs and expenses caused thereby including, but not limited to, the loss of revenue. The traveler must observe all regulations in laws and international conventions, which concern transport of dangerous goods/ luggage.
A pregnant passenger must not travel with MS Norröna after 34 weeks of pregnancy. From 31 weeks of pregnancy a medical certificate stating it is OK for the pregnant to travel with MS Norröna should be produced. Norröna does not have any doctor onboard.
Smoking is only allowed on open air deck – on deck 8. This restriction applies to both passengers and crew. Any violations of this law will be heavily fined.
Please contact the reception on board regarding lost belongings onboard on +298 344900 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Transport of pets is against supplementary charge and according to special regulations as agreed with SML. Pets are not allowed in the cabins onboard. However, there are dogcages onboard: 2 large cages: 80 cm (W) x 115 cm (H) x 130 cm (D) 6 smaller cages: 80 cm (W) x 55 cm (H) x 130 cm (D) To Iceland: Pets cannot be brought to Iceland. To the Faroe Islands: Please check with local authorities regarding regulations for import of pets to the Faroe Islands: www.hfs.fo.
Passengers have the opportunity to put their luggage in the safety boxes on deck 2 or 7. The boxes are in two sizes: 403x900 mm and 503x900 mm. The cost for using the boxes is DKK 10 for the small one and DKK 20 for the bigger one. It costs every time the box is opened.
Cars without drivers / reg. number must be booked as freight. Regarding shipping to the Faroe Islands and Iceland we refer to Smyril Line Cargo: Tel. +298 309600 or email@example.com
Passengers can carry up to 50 kg of frozen goods per booking without extra charge. For further information regarding the delivery of the frozen goods, please contact the check-in staff. Frozen goods must be labeled with the name and address of the owner.
All travelers must bring picture ID, preferably their passport. If a traveler does not have an EU passport this should be mentioned when the booking is made. The company reserves the right to see a picture ID – preferably a passport.
Part two - Applicable law and governing liability provisions.
- 1. Applicable law and governing liability provisions
- 1.1 This contract is governed by Faroese law.
- 1.2 The provisions of the Faroese Merchant Shipping Act currently in force shall be
deemed to be incorporated into this contract.
- 1.3 Where international conventions or local law applies to the carriage of passengers and their luggage by mandatory provisions, such provision shall be applied.
- 1.4 The carrier shall be exempted from any liability in respect of injury to passengers before embarkation and after disembarkation. The exemption also applies to luggage before being brought aboard or after having been brought ashore. The exemption further applies to a voyage including other modes of transport and/or stays and arrangements ashore.
- 1.5 The carrier shall be exempted from any liability for loss of or damage to money, securities and other valuables, such as gold, silver, watches, jewels, jewellery and objects of art and live animals.
- 1.6 Per the Faroese Merchant Shipping Act currently in force any claim against the carrier is subject to a two-year time bar counting from the date of disembarkation.
- 2. Vehicles
- Driving vehicles onboard and ashore is done at the risk of the passenger and without any liability on the part of the carrier. The passenger has the responsibility to ensure that the brakes of his vehicle are duly applied during the entire carriage. The carrier is entitled at his own option and without previous notice to carry vehicles on deck.
- Trucks, coaches and similar vehicles are considered as ordinary cargo and are carried according to the provisions of the Faroese Merchant Shipping Act for ordinary cargo.
- Driving vehicles on board as well as ashore is solely at the passengers own risk and without any liability of any kind for Pf Smyril Line. It is up to the traveller himself/herself to make sure that the brakes of the vehicles are properly applied during the voyage.
- 3. Exemptions for servants of the carrier and others
- All provisions which may limit or exclude the liability of the carrier may be applied by any servant, agent or sub contractor of the carrier, the vessel, its owners or operators.
- 4. Limitations and deductions (own risk)
- 4.1 According to the Faroese Merchant Shipping Act § 192 and § 193 currently in force the following limitations will apply:
- 1,300 SDR per passenger for hand luggage
- 5,000 SDR for valuables
- 8,000 SDR per vehicle
- 2,000 SDR per passenger for other form of luggage
- The liability of the carrier during carriage at sea does not exceed SDR 100.000,- for each injured passenger. The liability for delays in the carriage of passengers cannot exceed SDR 2.000,-.
- 4.2 It is especially agreed that of any loss, damage or expense for which the carrier is responsible the passenger himself shall bear the following sums which are to be deducted from the amount payable by way of damages:
- 1. 150 SDR per vehicle in the case of damage of the vehicle
- 2. 20 SDR per passenger in the case of loss or damage to other luggage
- 3. 20 SDR per passenger in case of delay
- 4.3 By SDR shall be understood the Special Drawing Rights (SDR) used by the International Monetary Fund. The conversion of SDR to other currencies should be made according to the rate of exchange on the date of payment.
- 4.1 According to the Faroese Merchant Shipping Act § 192 and § 193 currently in force the following limitations will apply:
- 5. Scope of contract and carrier’s liberties
- 5.1 The carrier does not undertake that the advertised time of arrival and departure will be adhered to. Where necessary the carrier reserves the right to perform the carriage with a substitute vessel and/or to deviate from the advertised route.
- 5.2 The carrier shall be at liberty to comply with any orders or recommendations given by any government body of any nation and by any party having the right to give such orders or recommendations, whether by contract or otherwise, and compliance with such orders or recommendations shall not be deemed to be a deviation or breach of this contract.
- 6. Dangerous luggage/security
- 6.1 Luggage which might cause considerable inconvenience to or endanger the safety of the vessel, human beings or goods must not be brought aboard. The carrier shall with regard to the circumstances, without any obligation to indemnify the passenger, be entitled to bring the luggage ashore, to render it harmless or to destroy it, if brought aboard without the carrier’s knowledge and consent.
- 6.2 The passenger must not bring onboard any luggage or article which may be considered a safety hazard under the International Ship and Port Security Code.
- 6.3 If the violation of the above provisions causes the vessel to be detained, restricted in operation or the imposing of a fine upon the carrier, the vessel or its owners the passenger is to indemnify the carrier for any and all costs and expenses caused thereby including but not limited to the loss of revenue.
- 6.4 The traveller must observe all regulations in laws and international conventions, which concern transport of dangerous goods/luggage.
- 7. Venue (jurisdiction)
- Any action against the carrier or any servant or agent of his shall at the option of the plaintiff be brought before:
- 1. The court at the place where the defendant has his residence or his head office
- 2. The court at the place of embarkation or place of disembarkation according to the contract of carriage.