By Frank and Martje De Smet-Van der Pluym, 06.09.2017
‘My wife and I we would like to thank you and the whole Smyrill Line organisation for the perfect service you gave us during our recent trip to Iceland. After you informed us that no more cabins were available on the ferry from Danmark you informed us about the new cargo-line from Rotterdam. The guys in Rotterdam and Thorlakshofn were great in service and everthing went with a big smile. After talking with other clients who took the classic ferry, we realise that the cargo-solution is more than a valid alternative. Customs in Iceland was very helpfull and correct. Delivery/collection in Thorlakshofn and Rotterdam was "a piece of cake".’
Since more than 30 years Smyril Line offers safe and comfortable ferry crossings between Danmark and Faroe Islands and further on to Iceland onboard MV Norröna.
Now this successful and approved service will be improved by the addition of a new offer.
Shipment of tourist vehicles from Rotterdam to Thorlakshöfn in Iceland
The RoRo vessel MV MYKINES operates weekly between the Dutch port of Rotterdam and the Icelandic port Thorlakshöfn, close to Reykjavik. Thereby Smyril Line offers an additional possibility to ship vehicles to Iceland. The port of Thorlakshöfn is just about 30 kilometers away from Reykjavik.
This service will be offered throughout the whole year.
While your vehicle is on the way to Iceland, arrival within only four days, you can travel to Iceland by plane on any date of your convenience and pick up your vehicle in Thorlakshöfn. See publich transport in Iceland here straeto.is/en.
Schedule MV MYKINES
Departure from Rotterdam Monday at 24:00 CET
Arrival in Thorlakshöfn Friday at 06:00 CET
Departure from Thorlakshöfn Friday at 23:00 CET
Arrival in Rotterdam Monday at 18:00 CET
Delivery in Rotterdam: Friday before 15:00 CET
Pick up in Thorlakshöfn: Friday from 12:00 CET until 16:30
Delivery in Thorlakshöfn: Latest Friday at 12:00 CET
Pick up in Rotterdam: From Wednesday 07:00-15:00 hrs, or later in the week, but only during weekdays from 07:00-15:00 hrs.
In case your prefer to deliver your vehicle earlier or pick it up later, safe parking is available in Rotterdam as well as in Thorlakshöfn.
Custom formalities will be handle for you by Smyril Line Cargo.
If you decide on a shipment with Smyril Line, your vehicle will not be shipped inside a container, instead it will simply be driven onboard MV MYKINES, using it’s RoRo ramp. Therefore a complicated price calculation based on length, width and total volume with different surcharges is not applicable.
Documents needed (insurance etc.)
For export and import of tourist cars to and from Iceland, the insurance-card and registration document is needed. The insurance needs to cover transport and driving in Iceland.
Book your shipment directly at Smyril Line. Bookings have to be made no later than two weeks in advance. For booking requests please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Booking reference has to be made and shown when vehicles are delivered either in Rotterdam or Thorlakshofn.
For booking the following information is required
- Requested dates of shipment
- Type of vehicle and registration number
- Length, width, height and weight of vehicle
- Name and address (street, post code, town and country), telephone number and email of the vehicle owner
- Copy of the vehicle registration papers
- Copy of the passport of the owner of the vehicle
- Name of vehicle collector and copy of ID card or passport
- Requested insurance, if any
- Estimated time and date of delivery / collection
- E9 form tollur.is/library/Skrar/Eydublod/E9.pdf (fill out, sign and send to Smyril Line)
All tourist cars/caravans/motorcycles coming from Rotterdam with the cargo vessel Mykines to Þorlákshöfn need to be customed cleared for temporary import to Iceland. It is therefore VERY important that you provide Smyril Line with ALL required information and documents upon booking, also the E9 form (see the list of required information above). Please note that if the customs in Iceland do not have all required information and documents, the vehicle cannot be relased in Iceland.
Terms and conditions
Terms of payment
- For reservations made more than 30 days prior to departure, the first rate of 25% of the price, however a minimum of € 400, is payable to Smyril Line at the time of the booking. The remainder is payable to Smyril Line no later than 30 days prior to departure.
- For reservations made less than 30 days prior to departure, the full amount is payable to Smyril Line at the time of the reservation.
The date of payment receipt is decisive. In the event of failure to comply with these regulations, Smyril Line reserves the right to cancel reservations and to retain fees in accordance with the terms of cancellation.
Terms of cancellation
- Cancellations made up to 31 days prior to departure the first rate minus an administration fee of 10% of the price of the journey will be refunded.
- Cancellations made between 30 and 15 days prior to departure result in forfeiture of 50% of the price of the journey.
- Cancellations made between 14 and 7 days prior to departure result in forfeiture of 75% of the price of the journey.
- Cancellations made less than 7 days prior to departure result in forfeiture of 100% of the price of the journey.
Terms for sea transport is controlled by various rules:
Terms of transport (FAS applies) 'Free Alongside Ship':
Transport insurance is not included in the rates. We advise you to buy transport insurance at your insurance company.